Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Way Cool Things About Deer Lodge, Montana

While this little town necessitates quite a different life than what we had in San Antonio (or Nampa or Ft. Lauderdale, for that matter), we love it here. Here are some very cool things about our new hometown:

GRANT KOHRS RANCH
It's a National Park (even though it's a functioning ranch) that has some neat stuff that you can do, like practice roping, ride a wagon for a tour, go to the chuck wagon, and see a blacksmith at work. (Thanks to our friends the Gilsons for being our buddies our first time there!) It's beautiful, interesting, and probably my favorite thing to do here in town.

THE OLD PRISON MUSEUM
This was actually a functioning prison (built by inmate labor in the 1800s and added on by inmate labor here and there) until 1979. Now the prison is west of town a ways, but this place has a lot of history and great stories. Totally reaffirms my desire to never be incarcerated.


CAR MUSEUM
SO many cars here that I can't even begin to describe the variety in terms of makes, models, years, condition, uses explained. I don't have a picture of it, but Benjamin still talks about the "paddywagon". :)




THE KILLER VIEW!
This is literally from my front porch looking west. I love waking up every morning and seeing the beautiful mountains. We have had fun watching storms roll in, seeing the amazing sunsets... I live in one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen (and I've seen some amazing places).


HAVING VISITORS COME
(No, I do NOT take enough pictures when visitors are here... I'll do better, I promise!)










THE PEOPLE!
Of whom I seem to have no pictures at all. We have found some great new friends that I feel like we've known for years. This is such an incredible place that I can't believe people aren't rushing to move here. It's beautiful, fun, the people are friendly (no jerks allowed around here!), and it seems to almost be a place caught in time. Kids can still wear hats to school (*gasp!*) and the principal actually knows children's names. People wave to their neighbors and chat with complete strangers while waiting in line. Other adults are willing to say something to your child if they are out of line (you know, instead of just whispering about what a bad parent you are later on). People shake hands. Everyone around here (except us - old habits die hard) leave their doors unlocked and say "come in" when someone knocks. Amazing, but true.

Hooray for Deer Lodge!

6 comments:

Stephanie Black said...

This looks like a way cool and fun place. I'd love to go to the ranch! It does seem a bit frozen in time from what you said...which is awesome. I hope things are well!

Niki said...

I didn't know you guys had moved! We go to Big Fork in the summer each year (my folks have a cabin there). It would be fun to get together for a day and have a picnic or something!

Kristen said...

i must say i am glad of your living there, as I am reaping (and blogging about) the benefits already.

you, my friend, are a saint.

...Laura... said...

So glad you are enjoying living in Montana! And I'm glad you went to Grant Kohrs Ranch and thought it was cool- that makes me feel better about relying upon my 13 yr old self memories and wanting to go again.
I don't think that past sentence made any sense! Anyway- I still have never been to the prison or any of those museums and I so want to go. I love history stuff! Maybe you'll have to be my tour guide when we make it down there!

Andrea, Mrs. said...

What the? There are that many attractions there? When are you going to find Mark a job so we can move there?

Jeff and Krishawn said...

Sounds like a very cool place. Im glad you guys are happy. We will have to make a trip up there on of these days. You guys are welcome down here to sunny AZ anytime.